Office of the Chief
It is the priority of the Department to promote continued education to maximize training opportunities for our officers, command staff, and civilian employees. Technical advancements and the ongoing development of comprehensive data collection programs are also essential for the most efficient delivery of services, improved public safety, and departmental accountability. With a renewed commitment to excellence and a focus on state of the art technology, the Orange Police Department plans to be well prepared to meet the challenges ahead. It is the intention of this department not only to provide the reactive services necessary to ensure public safety but also to commit to providing the proactive services that will enhance the unity within our community.
Plans, directs and oversees the activities and day to day operations of the City Orange Police Department including law enforcement, crime prevention and crime suppression programs; coordinates assigned
- Assume management responsibility for all department services and activities including law enforcement, crime prevention and crime suppression programs; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Manage the development and implementation of department goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned area.
- Establish, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocate resources accordingly
- Plan, direct and coordinate, through subordinate level staff, the Police Department’s work plan; assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; review and evaluate.
- Assess and monitor workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; direct and implement changes.
- Direct and assist with investigation of major crimes, accidents or other unusual incidents.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate assigned personnel; provide or coordinate staff training and career development; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the department budget; approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Explain, justify and defend department programs, policies and activities; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues.
- Represent the Police Department and maintain a positive working relationship with other departments, elected officials, media, outside agencies and police union.
- Provide staff assistance to the City’s Business Administrator; participate on a variety of boards, commissions and committees; prepare and present staff reports and the other necessary correspondence.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Perform related duties as required.